Sunday, January 13, 2008

First post... yay.

I'm starting this up ostensibly because I just joined the Stitch DC "yarn of the month" club, and want a place to show off my projects. But I figured this would be a good idea, because I've been completely ADD about my projects, and this will be a good way to keep track of all the gratuitous stuff I'm up to. So expect posts about knitting and other craft projects, cooking and cocktail making, and possibly video games movies and books.

For example, tonight is a special night because... it's the PBS Masterpiece Theater Jane Austen fest! MT will be adapting all of Jane Austen's novels starting with Persuasion, and as a bonus showing the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice, and some sort of J.A. biopic. I'm actually less excited about that one, as it seems like it might be a little too "chick flicky," an odd criticism of someone who loves Jane Austen. Yet I refuse to see that feature film they made of her, much to the relief of my poor fiancé. Unfortunately for him, he will be forced to watch all of the novel adaptations. I look forward to his suffering.

Though this is my first blog post and there is no reason for anyone to read it, here's a question to throw out to the huddled masses yearning to be free: who else likes Jane Austen? Who hates her? And how about George Eliot? After re-reading Pride and Prejudice (because I got the annotated version for X-mas) I decided to take a look at Middlemarch. I like it a lot so far, as it's a very smart novel. George seems to like her wise bon mots a bit more than Jane does, though, and she takes fewer pains than Austen did to fit them into the plot. (Also, can you believe George had a crush on Herbert Spencer and got totally rejected by him? Weird. Survival of the fittest indeed.)

No comments: